Rhodiola rosea is an adaptogen herb used in herbal medicines. Adaptogens are natural health products (NHPs) that produce a non-specific response aimed to promote homeostasis.
- Rhodiola roseaextracts have been used as a dietary supplement in healthy populations, including athletes, to non-specifically enhance the natural resistance of the body to both physical and behaviour stresses for fighting fatigue and depression.
- Rhodiola rosea is an ancient medicinal herb used to combat stress, fatigue, anxiety, depression, and cognitive impairment, including brain injury. It can also promote strength, endurance, and physical and mental performance.
- rosea also seems to stimulate noradrenalin, serotonin, dopamine and acetylcholine receptors in the brain, thus prevent from depression, anxiety and mood disorders.
- It is used in Headaches, pain relief, haemorrhoids treatment, as a stimulant and as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- rosea promotes an increase in β-endorphins, which lowers the intensity of the stress response and the production of endorphins at stressful situations. In other words, the herb acts by decreasing or totally preventing stress-induced hormonal changes, by its adaptogenic properties